The details of a design competition which will produce a design for a permanent memorial to An Gorta Mór in Glasgow has been lodged with Creative Scotland today. Subject to any discussions with Creative Scotland the competition brief will be as outlined here Project Brief for Memorial to An Gorta Mór January 2018
The schedule for the competition is as follows:
The initial stage of the competition will run from 8th January 2018 to 16th February 2018. Artists will be expected to provide the following:
- a statement of intent with regards approach to the commission and engagement with the community. (A4 max
- Some photographs of previous work (up to 12 photographic images or digital images on a CD)
- A CV which should provide evidence of the ability to bring the project to completion
These should be delivered by post or hand to St Mary’s RC Church, 89 Abercromby Street, Glasgow G40 2DQ by 4pm on 16th February 2018. If the item is too large to be posted through a letterbox then please contact us in advance to arrange acceptance.
- From these applications a short list of 6 will be invited to interview to present their approach to the brief concept and community engagement
- From these interviews, three will be chosen. The chosen three artists will be asked to produce a fully specified and costed monument design, a model of the design, and full details of timescale and all necessary instructions and details regarding groundworks and installation. The models produced will be owned by the Committee.
- The payment for this work will be £2000 each. The designs and other materials specified must be delivered by 27th April 2018
- The winning design will be announced at a gala fundraising event in May/June (the precise date to be arranged.
- Relevant drawings of the front of the site are shown here Site drawing 1 and here Site Drawing 2 . The relevant area is the corner of Abercromby Street and Forbes Street.